Friday, October 2, 2009

No Persuasiveness Required

"Let these words sink into your ears; for the Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men." But they did not understand this statement, and it was concealed from them so that they would not perceive it; and they were afraid to ask Him about this statement. Luke 9:44-45 (NASB) I have always been a bit lacking in the boldness department. I think maybe it has hinged on the concept that I have doubted my ability to be persuasive. This can be a great hindrance to witnessing or to proclaiming the truth into any situation. Earlier this year, though, as I read through the prophets, I was reminded of something that I have really always known but have not always lived out. It has nothing to do with my persuasiveness and everything to do with my obedience. Jesus knew that. He was in tune enough with His Father and with His followers that He knew they were not going to understand. He knew that the truth was being concealed from their hearts. But that didn't stop Him from saying what He had to say. Why? Because He knew that at some point it would make sense to them. At that point, they would remember and the words would make an impact on their lives. I have to remember that, too. What I say may or may not be received. It may or may not be persuasive. It may or may make any sense to the receiver. I may or may not even be heeded. But, that has nothing to do with me. That's God's business. My business is to say what He has for me to say and let Him do the rest. Grace is a pretty awesome, isn't it? The fact that God is ultimately the One who is in control of it all is pretty freeing, isn't it? Now, to "simply" adjust my life that I may truly live this way!

No comments: