Sunday, October 4, 2009

Desiring His Green Pastures

He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. Psalms 23:2 (NASB - emphasis mine) I know that this might not pass an exegetical test, but as I reread and studied this well-known and beloved Psalm this week, I was struck by the word "makes." What do I crave, and does it match up with what the Lord wants to give? Does He have to make me receive what is good for me? Doug and I have been trying hard to really concentrate on healthy eating. We have realized that even though we as a family had healthy eating habits in general, there were still many things that we consumed that were not healthy choices. We've improved on that a great deal. But, still, there is frequently the craving for those foods that aren't good for these temples. Sometimes my body needs a fantastically delicious meal of salmon, broccoli, and rice, but I would much rather sink my teeth into a huge bacon cheeseburger with a mound of cheese fries. I think there are times I do that spiritually as well. I wake up blah or restless, and all I want is to get in the van and go somewhere, or find a way to spend money, or eat chocolate to my heart's content. The true answer is to immerse myself in the incredible presence and Word of the Lord. In that moment, I'm ashamed to say, it seems so "un-fun" to sacrifice my road trip, shopping spree, or chocolate binge to be in the Word. But, if I actually do make the effort to enter His presence, I find that my desire becomes for Him and I am surrounded by the most incredible satisfaction imaginable. And, to be honest, sometimes He has to make me go there. Sometimes He literally has to drive me away from the inferior weedy grass that I think I want and move me to the beautiful green pastures that I truly need. Oh, that He wouldn't have to make me! Oh, that I would just choose His presence first and foremost every time! Oh, that nothing else would even hold any sway over my heart and mind! That is where I long to be.

No comments: