Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mindset of Slaves

Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, “Come immediately and sit down to eat”? But will he not say to him, “Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink”? He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, “We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done." Luke 17:7-10 (NASB) This whole concept bucks against our western mentality. We would argue that no one should be treated that way. We argue against it in our churches, our workplaces, our homes, and our marriages. Once we have performed some major duty or job, we feel as if we deserve a break, or at least some recognition. In our marriages, we have this mentality that we do so much, and our spouses need to at least contribute their part, if not wait on us hand and foot as reward for all we do. We teach our children that they deserve reward for obedience, rather than simply teaching them that obedience is their responsibility, whether they receive reward or not. I know I live with this mentality. I know my gut reaction is to say, “Yes! Give that slave a break, get out of that chair, and get your own supper!” But, that is not a biblical attitude. The attitude presented by Christ Himself is one of continued perseverance, without reward and without rest. He teaches endurance to the end – and frankly, the end just doesn't come on this earth. I am challenged to have this type of mindset. I am challenged to work with no thought of reward or rest. I am even more challenged to teach my children this concept starting right now that they may not have to retrain their hearts and minds as adults. Oh how we as individuals and as the church must have the mindset of slaves!

No comments: