Monday, October 5, 2009

Faithful

And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings. He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you? And if you have not been faithful in the use of that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. Luke 16:9-13 (NASB) I realized this morning that somehow I have never read this passage in NASB, which is the translation of my current primary Bible. Or, if I have, I've not really paid attention to it. I have only really been attentive to this passage in translations that refer to the wealth mentioned as "worldly wealth." So, when I read it described as "unrighteous wealth," it really stood out to me. It's easy to brush "worldly" off as simply being not heavenly. It's of this world. Well, of course wealth is of this world. The wealth of heaven has nothing to do with money! But, when it is labeled as "unrighteous," it introduces a shift of thinking. Not only is it of this world, but it is also not neutral. It is not something that can be good or bad. It's just unrighteous. But it can be used for righteousness, and that is what we are called to do. I am reminded of George Muller. This amazing and incredible man of God had literally millions of British pounds flow through his hands, but he continually lived in such a way as to only hold back for his day to day needs. Every bit of what he didn't need immediately flowed through his hands to someone who did need it. That is what dealing righteously with unrighteous wealth is all about. And that is how I am challenged to live. Faithful with unrighteous wealth that I may be trusted with true riches. Lord, grant me wisdom! May I prove faithful with Your guidance!

No comments: