Friday, October 16, 2009

My Responsibilty, or His?

When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. Prov 16:7 (NASB) If I were to begin seeing threats to my life in one way or another and were asked by those investigating these threats if I had any enemies, I would probably say no. But, the truth is that there are people who just don't like me or the way I do things. As a result, frustration, discord, and yes, even enmity sometimes exist between myself and others. As someone who has to fight the tendency toward being a people pleaser, this is a hard thing for me to deal with. But this verse brings both encouragement and challenge to me. The encouragement is in the fact that the only one I have to please is the Lord! If I can be pleasing to Him in all I do, He'll take care of the rest. He will work out the relationships. He will restore peace where my actions have caused enmity. The challenge, however, lies in the same fact- I have to please the Lord! If I see a struggle or tension between myself and someone else, can I stand before Him with a clean conscience? Or, is there something I need to confess and deal with, both before Him and before my "enemy"? If I am clean before Him, peace-making is His responsibility. If I'm not, then it's mine. To be honest, I'd much rather the responsibility be His! He's much, much better at it! So, my goal? To live with a clear conscience before Him that He may be the peacemaker in my relationships!

No comments: