Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wisdom of the Young

A wise child accepts a parent’s discipline; a mocker refuses to listen to correction. Prov 13:1 (NLT) Other translations use the word "son" in this verse, and I have always taken it to mean one who is grown. I know "child" can refer to a child of any age - I am still the child of my parents, even though I am a grown woman with a family of my own. But, as I read "child" today instead of "son," I saw something new in this verse. Do I really acknowledge wisdom in my children? I encourage my oldest child to read Proverbs every day, but do I allow her to grow in wisdom or do I automatically discipline her as if she were a fool? Does that affect the way she responds? I am learning more and more to work on the hearts of my children rather than just deal with their actions. But, as they have accepted Christ and have begun to walk in the guidance of His Holy Spirit (of which there is evidence in their precious lives!), I need to realize that He is growing them in wisdom. I need to acknowledge that my children can be wise. And, truthfully, even I can gain from their wisdom. No, they do not always accept my discipline. Yes, they do frequently act the part of the fool. (As do I!) But, if I show them that I expect that they are growing in wisdom, even at a young age, they will rise to that expectation and I will have the beautiful pleasure of watching that growth!

No comments: