Monday, September 7, 2009

"How Can it Be Done?" or "He will do it!"

"Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'If it is too difficult in the sight of the remnant of this people in those days, will it also be too difficult in My sight?' declares the LORD of hosts. Zech 8:6 (NASB)

I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. Psalm 9:1 (NASB) I see quite the contrast here. In the first passage, God is telling His people that they will once again see normal, every day life occurring in the streets of Jerusalem. It seems pretty far-fetched to them - pretty hard to believe. But, God is reminding them that it is not about what they can envision, but what He can envision. In the second passage, David is remembering the conquering deeds of the Lord. Psalm 9 ends with David expressing confidence in God to execute justice on behalf of himself and God's people. He is not sure how it will be done, or even when, but he knows it will be done. Why? Because it is in line with God's character and nature, and David is focused on God's character rather than the condition of life around him. Which perspective do I hold? There are many things before my family right now that seem utterly impossible. Some of them are related specifically to our family, and others are related to church. But, they are all tasks that, really and truly, cannot be accomplished in our strength. So often I am bogged down in the impossible and I forget to look at it from God's perspective. It is not too difficult in His sight, otherwise He would not have put the goal before us! If I keep my eyes on who He is, what He has done, and what He is able to do, I will be more like David, knowing that He will do and less like the exiles wondering how it can be done.

No comments: