Thursday, September 3, 2009

Complete Trust

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Prov 3:5-6 (NLT) These are such familiar verses, yet they hit me hard each time I read them. I do trust the Lord and seek His will (or acknowledge Him, as other translations read), but I am realizing more and more that there is a limit to how extensively I do both. There should not be. I know this, and I realize the foolishness of it. But, when I truly examine myself, it is the truth. Why? Because I lean far too much on my own understanding. Doing so tends to derail my ability to trust the Lord with all my heart and seek His will in all I do. If I don't understand His ways, I struggle with trusting them. It is not at all about my understanding. It is entirely about His trustworthiness, which is total and complete. In another month I will come to these verses again. I will read them in a different translation, and the words will impact me afresh. But, my desire is to be closer next month to the goal of complete trust than I was this month. That is my challenge.

No comments: