Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bless the Lord!

Bless the LORD, you His angels, mighty in strength, who perform His word, obeying the voice of His word! Bless the LORD, all you His hosts, you who serve Him, doing His will. Bless the LORD, all you works of His, in all places of His dominion; bless the LORD, O my soul! Psalm 103:20-22 (NASB) Why do I obey and serve the Lord? Is it so that things will go well with me? In all honestly, yes. That is a big part of it. I want life to go well. If circumstances are not great, I want the joy of the Lord to gird me up through it all. And, the best way to guarantee that is by being in a right relationship with my Lord. Jesus told us that if we loved Him, we would keep His commandments (John 14:15). So, I obey. But, these verses from Psalms show a different perspective on obedience. When we obey, there comes upon us a right, privilege, and responsibility to bless the Name of the Lord because of that obedience. What a perspective! What a reason to be diligent in obedience! And what a challenge... Obedience is not about me. It results in certain benefits for me, but that is not the focus of obedience. The focus of my obedience is God's glory, and that must be my priority. Come, let's bless the Lord today!

No comments: