Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not What I Deserve

He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. Psalm 103:10 (NASB) I gripe. A lot. This is frustrating. That is exhausting. Oh, how I wish this challenge or that difficulty would pass. I get in my head that I deserve a good life. Then I read verses like this one. Oh, how little room I have to complain! My suffering is just that - a little bit of suffering. Paul referred to it as "momentary, light affliction" (2 Cor 4:17) that is working in us to renew the spiritual beings within us - to restore us to our intended state of existence. And, Paul had room to talk! He was familiar with suffering. In fact, the least of his sufferings surpassed the greatest of mine. The truth is that I deserve to be relentlessly tormented unto death. I deserve for everything around me to crumble to pieces, and even then to have barely scratched the surface of the torment I deserve. But, I will never, ever receive what I deserve. Instead I will receive the great lovingkindness spoken of in Psalm 103:11-12. My goal, desire, and challenge are to live with David's attitude - when I do, I will, without a doubt, look at each day in a very different way.

No comments: