Monday, September 28, 2009

Boldness and Confession

Two verses from Proverbs 28 really impacted me today, and I wanted to go ahead and share both as challenges.


The wicked run away when no one is chasing them,but the godly are as bold as lions. Prov 28:1


As I read this verse, I was reminded of my own lack of boldness in so many things. I hug the wall, clamp my mouth shut, or hide behind the safe doors of my home or so-called responsibilities to my family. It is so easy as the homeschooling mother of young children to step back from many things, using my responsibilities as an excuse. The truth, though, is that I feel anxious just thinking about certain prospects. I am hiding. I am lacking in boldness.


The boldness is not mine – it is the Holy Spirit's. He has all I need, but I tend to squelch His freedom by surrendering to my anxiety. Scripture tells me to not be anxious or fearful for a reason!!! I am called to be bold in Him. His Spirit is not timid, and He wants His Spirit to shine forth in me!


People who conceal their sins will not prosper,but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy. Prov 28:13


I have been convicted lately of my tendency to gloss over my sinfulness. Oh, I confess, but I don't truly examine my heart. When I do finally come before Him in openness and honesty, I realize that I have – sometimes consciously and sometimes without even thinking – simply ignored certain sinfulness, claiming it to be no big deal.


If I gloss over anything in my life that is not 100% in line with the Word of God, then I am concealing sin. I must be willing to submit to the Spirit's conviction on all things, big or little that I may confess them openly and receive the fullness of His mercy.



No comments: