Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Freedom or Bondage?

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1 (NASB) It seems that everything I've been reading in Scripture the past three or four days has been about our freedom. It makes me wonder if God might be trying to tell me something! I have had to stop and look at my life. Christ has set me free, but do I live in that freedom? In all honesty, no. I let myself be caught up in bondage so frequently. Sometimes it is to things like people pleasing, a schedule that I just have to follow, or the oppression of perfectionism. Other times it is to rebellion against what is expected of me. Other times it is to my frustration and irritation when things are not going my way either at home, at church, or in the world. Then there are the addictions that I struggle with - food, the computer, some project, etc. Some of the things I have mentioned are downright sinfulness. Other things can be used as tools in my endeavor to honor and glorify my Lord in all I do, but I turn them into idols instead. Whatever the case may be, I allow myself to be in bondage to them. Christ died that I may live in His freedom. Will I be like the Galatians and allow myself to be enslaved again, or will I truly walk in His freedom?

No comments: