Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No Babbling

The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin. (Prov 10:8 ESV) I love words. I like to talk. I always enjoy adding in my thoughts and opinion in a discussion. It's not that I'm argumentative - I don't necessarily like a debate or argument. I do, however, like a discussion that helps me think and grow thoughts and ideas. I like to write. There's nothing quite like tapping out my thoughts. Long before I began blogging, I would type up some of my thoughts from Scripture or life and save them in a journaling file. I had no idea how I would ever share those thoughts, but I typed them anyway. When I started blogging I had a nice set of writings ready to be published. The thing about loving words, though, is that I can always come up with something to type or speak. But am I really saying anything? Am I just blogging because I want to make sure there is something on the blog, or am I writing because I truly have something to share? Do I participate in a conversation just to be a part of it, or because I believe I truly have something to add? This verse really made me stop and think. I don't want to be a babbler. If I just babble, I miss hearing what the Lord is really saying to me. Meanwhile, my readers and listeners waste their time reading or listening to my babble. I want to be sure that I write or speak because the Lord has given me something to say. Otherwise, I want to learn to keep my mouth closed and my hands still.

No comments: