Thursday, June 18, 2009

Conversations with Fools

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. (Prov 18:2 ESV) I've been exposed to several people like this lately. They start a discussion, and then refuse to hear anyone's input but their own. They have to be right, and they cannot learn from anyone else. I have been like that before. I have been caught up in a discussion where I was so entrenched in my statements that even when I knew I was wrong, I couldn't back down. Oh how I hate being prideful! There are two things I want to watch for...1) I do not want to be the fool. I do not have to always be right, and I want to be willing to listen to the thoughts, ideas, and opinions of others rather than blindly bucking against them. 2) I do not want to argue with the fool. He won't be listening to me anyway, so it will only serve to make me look like a fool as well. I'm praying for wisdom and discernment to know when to walk away.

No comments: