Monday, June 15, 2009

Praying in the Spirit

With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints Eph 6:18 (NASB) I don't know about you, but there are times when the prayer just flows, and I know that the thoughts and petitions are being guided by the Holy Spirit. Many people disagree on what it means to pray in the Spirit, but I can testify beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are many, many times when the Spirit has very clearly directed my pryaers, both in specific and concentrated times of prayer and in entire days of heightened sensitivity to the prodding of the Spirit. The thing that nagged at me this morning, though, was the realization that I am not always that sensitive to the Spirit's leading. In fact, I'm more frequently not. Too often my prayers are based on a list, not on His promptings. Eph 6:18 specifically says "pray at all times in the Spirit." Downhere has a song entitled "The Real Jesus." As they sing through characteristics of who Jesus is, they make the statement, "Jesus prays a lot." It's such a simple, direct statement, but it packs quite the punch, maybe because it is so simple. It always leads me to chuckle a bit and think, "Now that's an understatement!" Scripture tells me to pray in the Spirit, and He is strongly challenging me to remember that today. Oh, how much more effective those prayers will be when I surrender my will and just do it!

No comments: