Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gentleness

In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses;but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear. 1 Peter 3:1-6 (NASB) When God is trying to teach me something, the lessons are everywhere. No matter where I turn, He seems to illuminate the same message out of almost every Scripture passage I read. His Word is alive! Right now His lesson to me seems to be my behavior, especially toward my family. One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Phil 4:2-9. It talks greatly about behavior and attitude, and verse five says, "Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near." Meanwhile, I'm studying gentleness for my fruit of the Spirit Bible study this evening. All in all, God is pointing out to me the ways I am so very far from the gentleness that He is calling me to exhibit. The passage in 1 Peter stood out so greatly because it reminded me that it does not matter how I make myself up - either physically or otherwise - to the people around me. If I don't live out this attitude in my home, any beauty I try to portray is false. There is no true beauty in me if I do not have the right attitude here at home. This week is shaping up to be a very intentional week for changing my attitude, especially in the area of gentleness. I ask for prayer and accountability in this. And I pray that the changes in my home will be tangible as the Lord works in and through me in this way.

1 comment:

Choate Family said...

cseIt's a little bit scary that God continues to work the same things in both of us even though we are separated by an ocean!