Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Precious

Over the past week, my challenges somehow haven't made it from my planner to the blog. Although I'm not going to go back and play catch-up here, I hope to incorporate many of the ideas into posts on my thoughts blog. Thanks for reading! Keep my commands and live; protect my teachings as you would the pupil of your eye. Tie them to your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”and call understanding [your] relative. Prov 7:2-4 (HCSB) When I first started reading through Proverbs every month, I was sure that at some point I would get tired of it. I know the Word of the Lord is alive and powerful, but I also know that I can read a rut into just about anything. But instead of reading a rut into Proverbs, I seem to be learning more and more each month. As I read the verses in different translations and as the chapters are read in the midst of different circumstances, the message comes alive in such beautiful ways. Today these verses grabbed my heart. The Word of God - His wisdom and teaching - is such a precious, precious gift. But, do I live my life as if it is precious? I do a great deal to protect my eyes. When something is important for me to remember, I make sure I have it in my planner - something that is always near me and available to remind me of whatever I might forget. And, although in our society today we may have lost a bit of the concept of the closeness of relatives that was expressed in Scripture, I still can grasp the concept of wisdom being my sister and know the intimacy that should express. Do I hold the Word of God in such regard? Is it that important to me?

That is my challenge - to have a conscious and high regard for the teaching of my God. To guard it in my heart as my most prized possession. To live in familiar intimacy with His wisdom.

No comments: