Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Turning to Him

O God, arrogant men have risen up against me, and a band of violent men have sought my life, and they have not set You before them. But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth. Turn to me, and be gracious to me; oh grant Your strength to Your servant, and save the son of Your handmaid. Psalms 86:14-16 (NASB) Very frequently when David was feeling the oppression of His enemies, He called for God to strike them down. Frequently his pleas even seemed a bit vicious! But this one is a bit different, and it actually brought a thought to my mind this morning. When I face troubles, from whatever source, what is my response? In all honesty, my response typically is to come up with a solution and then explain it to God! Brilliant, isn't it? In this passage, David didn't offer a solution. He didn't create a plan. He didn't even really continue to complain. He instead turned all of his attention to God. He articulated what He knew about God and drew comfort from that knowledge. God is the only one who has the definite answers. He knows what's coming. Even if I try to make plans, they are still reliant on His fulfillment of them. And frequently He adjusts my plans to fit His own. Wouldn't life be easier if I would just turn to Him immediately? No planning, no scheming, no plotting, and no begging God to do it my way. Just utter and explicit trust in Him. Seems to me that is just the better path!

No comments: