Friday, July 24, 2009

Control That Tongue!

(Several posts will show up today, dated throughout the weekend - I didn't get them posted because of our weekend schedule, but I wanted to come back to them. So, here they all are!) If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless. James 1:26 (NASB) I have shared before how I love words. I love to talk, I love to write, and I love to read. When I write, I make it a point to go back and re-read everything to make sure I've worded it well. Sometimes I still say things I shouldn't, but it happens much less frequently when I write than when I speak. Speaking is, well, a different story. I get in trouble so often with my words. I think I'm alright in my walk with the Lord, and then I go and say something that totally denies that. According to James, if I'm not careful in my speech, my religion is worthless! Wow! That's just powerful. I have to take control of my tongue. It's pretty obvious that the Lord's been dealing with me a lot in this area, and the more I learn, the more I long to be patient in my speech and more of a listener than a speaker. I hunger for that. I'm working on that!

No comments: