Friday, July 31, 2009

My Family

Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all." Prov 31:28-29 (NASB) I have read Proverbs 31 so many times. Sometimes I have been greatly discouraged by it. Sometimes challenged. Sometimes there has been a longing in my heart to be so much more than I am now - to grow and truly be the P31 woman. But, reading this familiar chapter this month brought a new thought. To whom am I seeking to be the P31 woman? Certainly I want to be honorable in the sight of God, but what about my status here on earth? Essentially through this entire chapter, there is nothing here to indicate that the P31 woman was necessarily honored by her society. Her husband was honored because of her, but that is a different story. This woman was honored by her husband and her children. They were the ones who saw her beauty and who benefited from her excellence. Not society. Not people outside her household. All through Proverbs we are taught to seek wisdom. We are taught to give of ourselves rather than to try to promote our own reputation. We are not to seek honor and glory for ourselves. Instead we are to chase after wisdom and understanding. Proverbs 31 is the culmination of the lessons taught throughout the book - the lessons of being who we are to be before God. My goal is not to seek the respect of society. My goal is to build up my husband. My goal is to raise my children to honor and glorify God. In doing so, I am to gain the approval of my God and the respect of my family and no others. That is to become my mindset.

No comments: