Monday, December 1, 2008

God First

"You shall have no other gods before Me. Ex 20:3 (NASB) Over the past week I have known God's presence in a beautiful way. He has been in everything, and He has shown Himself in every way. It has been a joy to be in His presence. But, I have to confess that I have not worked to make sure He was first. Holidays mean snuggling in bed until the kids wake up and then having them join us for some fun, sweet snuggles. Holidays mean a divergence from the normal schedule and routines of life. Holidays mean less discipline. So, frequently, holidays mean that I let my focus be distracted. I have noticed a greater agitation in myself as I've gone through my days. I've noticed that even though I have seen and experienced Him in so many ways, I have not necessarily been able to draw as easily on His strength and peace. I have let other things have a higher place in the use of my time, my thoughts, and my energies. So, I'm challenged today as we start December. I'm challenged to make my "days off" be days off from the alarm, from the normal routine off the day, but not from making sure I have no other gods before Him. I am challenged to have no other gods, period. I am challenged to make sure He's not just first - I must make sure He's everything.

No comments: