Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Word

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalms 119:105 (NASB) When I was in college I took a class called Biblical Interpretation. I can remember the assignments. "Take this passage/verse and write 20 facts about it." It didn't matter what the facts were. They didn't have to be spiritual depth facts - just information. Anything that made us truly look at the passage. We brought the homework back to the next class session only to be told to take it and do it all again, not repeating any facts. On the one hand, I remember it being a pretty difficult challenge that, at times, I'd rather not have to attempt. On the other hand, though, the challenge opened my eyes to things in those verses and passages that I had never noticed before. It was a revolution in reading the Word. This morning I was complaining a bit to the Lord. I have been tired and unmotivated to get up in the mornings, which has put a little strain on my times with my Savior - primarily because my choices have left me to spend that time with Him while surrounded by loud, demanding children! I realized, deep in, that I have temporarily lost my passion to be with my Lord. I am not truly relishing starting the day in total focus and intimacy with Him that will carry on through the busyness of the day. So, what reason is there for removing myself from the warmth and coziness of my bed? That is a lengthier background than usual for the challenge, but it was necessary to explain how the Lord replied to my complaints this morning. He reminded me that I was lazy. Not necessarily in the "I won't do any work" sense of the word, but in the "I won't truly take the time to dig deep into anything" sense. If the Word of God is to truly be a lamp to my feet and a light to my path - if I am truly to know the passion and drive to get up in the mornings just to dig into that Word because I truly hunger for it - then I must dredge up a few of those Bib. Interp. principles and truly dig into the Word of God. That means I've got to get up on time. Yep, I'm challenged today to truly get back into the Word. Even if it means limiting my reading to one verse so I actually have time to concentrate before the events of the day must begin, then so be it. Laziness must be put aside. A passion must be renewed. Lord, help me fall in love with You again such that Your Word and time with You are the things that make me want to jump out of bed every morning!

No comments: