Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Several Thoughts

For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 1 Cor 2:11-13 (NASB) (I selected these primary verses in 1 Cor 2, but I would recommend reading the whole chapter - if not more!) I have been incredibly struck this morning by three separate but interrelating thoughts. The first one is a phrase that tends to get kicked around every year around this time...Jesus is the Reason for the Season. Nice, catchy little phrase, but very limiting. Jesus isn't just the Reason for Christmas - Jesus is the Reason, period. He is - or at least He should be - my reason for absolutely everything I do (see 1 Cor 10:31). As I was mulling over that thought, I began to read 2 Cor 2. I was really focusing around verse 14 for my devotional reading, but I got caught up in the whole chapter. The significance of having the Spirit of God dwelling within me - the Spirit which knows the very thoughts of God and reveals them to me! - is overwhelming. If I flounder along in my thoughts and actions, it's because I am not surrendering to that Spirit which is within me. I have no excuse for following the ways of this world, other than that I squelch the Spirit. May it never be! May I be disciplined to do everything according to that Spirit within me. Then I read a blog post by a former pastor's wife this morning. I challenge you to click on the link and read it as well. I am challenged to not be a "typical" Christian. I don't answer to my denomination, my church, or anyone's concept of what a Christian should be. I answer to God - to His directions outlined through Scripture. I am challenged to be the Christian He has instructed me to be. Essentially, my challenge today is hard to define, so read the Scripture and the blog post and discern for yourself what the challenge might be. Think how our lives could be revolutionized to truly live the way Christians are intended to live!

No comments: