Tuesday, December 2, 2008

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them. Heb 11:16 (NASB) As a very visual person, I often cling to what I can see. The unknown is a bit terrifying to me, and often through my life that has included the unknown of spiritual things, including an eternity in the presence of Almighty God. But, the more I grow, the more I see that as long as all of my desires lie in what is here on this earth, no matter how noble, I will continue to be stunted in my growth. My desires must lie in longing for the things of God, both what He presents for my growth in this life and what He is preparing for me in eternity. The people represented in the chapter of faith had figured out that concept. They knew that they must long for something more than what they could see here in this life. As a result, God was not ashamed to be their God and to call them His people. I long for the same thing to be said of me. I am challenged to desire a better country, a heavenly one, and all that is related to it. I am challenged to no longer crave things of this life - I desire to only utilize the things of this world inasmuch as they draw me closer to the better country for which I am destined. I also want to share a quote. I have read Oswald Chambers off and on for years, and even though I don't always agree with his perspectives and ideas, I am also frequently struck by the power of some of his words. This quote greatly stood out to me today... "I am called to live in perfect relation to God so that my life produces a longing after God in other lives, not admiration for myself." (My Utmost for His Highest, Dec 2) This is my truest longing.

No comments: