Friday, December 5, 2008

Words of the Wise

Then Pharaoh said to his servants, "Can we find a man like this, in whom is a divine spirit?" Gen 41:38 (NASB) Pharaoh and his advisors were in the dark. They were baffled by the wisdom and discernment of Joseph because their gods never truly provided that wisdom or discernment. In Joseph they saw a man who truly did have the attention of some divine being. They didn't understand God or his love for His children, but they knew Joseph was different. Many in our society today stand in high positions of power and authority and must uphold an image of wisdom and discernment. But the truth is that they are in the dark. They do not received wisdom from any of their gods. When they see people in whom there is true wisdom, they are amazed. Unfortunately, as Christians we spend more time complaining about the world's immoral behavior than we do living lives that show the wisdom and discernment that come only from our amazing God. I am challenged to be sensitive to the voice of the Lord. I am challenged to stand in this world as the light that Christ commanded me to be. There is a "divine spirit" in me - the Holy Spirit, God Himself - and the world needs His wisdom. I am a vessel through which that wisdom can flow. God's Truth will be proclaimed in this world, of that I am certain. My obedience or lack thereof, in the long run, is not going to stop His message. But, the truth of the matter is that I can refuse to be a vessel through which that message flows. I desire to be like Joseph. No, I don't want to be second in command of a powerful nation. What I do want is for people to see that I am connected to Someone who can truly answer their questions - not that I can do it, but that there is One who is in me who CAN do it. That is my challenge.

No comments: