Monday, November 10, 2008

It all Belongs to Him

1 The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.

Psalms 24:1 (NASB)

This has been a challenge to me for a while, but I was reminded of it today - I think I'd become lax in that way of thinking. Everything is His. Everything. I must be reminded of this especially on the level of the things I tend to call my own - "my" home and all that's in it; "my" family; "my" car. This can also be taken to a more figurative level with time, energy, etc., but that's not where today is going...that one is in the back of my mind, but the other is in my face today.

Everything in this house is His - it's not stuff He's given to us to use according to His glory. That gives us possession. No, it's kind of like they way we tend to think of the things that the girls use in this house even though we paid for them - God provided everything we use, and it's still His. We are still to use it for His glory, but it's still all His. "My" finances fall under the same category. It's not that I look at God and say, "Thanks for the paycheck - I'll give you my tithe and then meet all of my financial obligations and then do whatever You want with what's left." It's not even, "Lord, after I pay all of my outstanding debts, I will be free to let You do what You want with my income." I always thought that as long as I paid my tithe, that was the way it should be. I'm convicted otherwise. It's all His in the first place. "Lord, I give it all to You. You know what financial obligations I have incurred - You know that some of them, like paying for shelter, warmth, and food are what I need for the survival of this family You've blessed me with. You know that others are debts to other people based on my lack of trust in You or my own selfishness. For those I ask Your forgiveness and I seek Your help in being faithful to pay those debts and be free from that bondage. I commit it all to You. Please do with it all as You please. Show me how You want me to operate the finances You've allowed us to use and the material possessions You've placed in our path. May I honor and glorify You in the use of all that is Yours."

I pray that you will join me in restoring our hearts to the place of claiming nothing for ourselves but using every possession and penny according to His will and direction. Besides, it's all His anyway!

1 comment:

Al, Rachel and Hava said...

Have you heard the single Steven Curtis Chapman wrote after their tragedy? Exactly the same sentiment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ERm0_tuKM