Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Get Rid of It!

8 "If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9 "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell. Matt 18:8-9 (NASB) 1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Heb 12:1-2 (NASB) Last night I had to take some things away from the girls - things that were keeping them from being obedient and respectful to the family. I explained to them the verses from Matthew and encouraged them to see that when things distract us from obedience, we need to put them aside. Nothing is worth keeping if it keeps us from growing and obeying. Of course, the whole time I was teaching and working with them, the Lord was working on me, too. His challenge to me today is to evaluate anything that distracts me from Him and determine what I can do to lay aside those encumbrances that I may run with endurance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! I don't know you, but I got to your husband's blog from a friend's blog(a member of Calvary), and then I clicked to your family blog and then to here! The Lord led me as well to start a personal blog to share what He is teaching me, for the purposes of accountability and encouraging others as well, so I was excited to read your blog! I haven't been very regular as I would have liked in writing, but I'm going to start being more consistent. Thanks for your words of challenge and encouragement in what you have written.

I saw your family pictures on the family blog...a beautiful family! May God bless you and your family and your ministry at Calvary.