Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christ-centeredness

(I typed this up at 6:45 this morning, but we had no internet connection! So, here it is, finally...) 16 Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. 17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Cor 5:16-17 (NASB) When I was a teenager I read the book In His Steps by Charles Sheldon. That book terrified me and still haunts me to this day. The characters in the book felt the challenge to totally change their perspective on life, and the very core of their existence was changed. But, according to Scripture, that’s what we’re all expected to do. The Scriptural terminology is whether or not we live “according to the flesh.” If we put that in modern terms, it has to do with our worldview – secular or Christ-centered. My challenge today is to analyze my worldview. How many things do I still view from a worldly perspective? Do I truly see life, Christ, and people around me through the eyes of my Lord and Savior, or do I see them the way the world sees them? I know there are many areas over the past few years where God has greatly changed my way of looking at things, but I’m sure there are many, many more areas that need to be changed. So far I’ve done my changing pretty gradually, but Scripture indicates it should have been done the moment I received Christ! I accepted Him as a seven-year-old, but I still grew up with a very worldly concept of life in general. How greatly is my life going to change this week because of this challenge? That’s still a rather daunting thought, but God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and discipline (2 Tim 1:7). So, here I go…

No comments: