Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Practice the Word!

"But as for you, son of man, your fellow citizens who talk about you by the walls and in the doorways of the houses, speak to one another, each to his brother, saying, 'Come now and hear what the message is which comes forth from the LORD.' They come to you as people come, and sit before you as My people and hear your words, but they do not do them, for they do the lustful desires expressed by their mouth, and their heart goes after their gain. Behold, you are to them like a sensual song by one who has a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument; for they hear your words but they do not practice them." Ezek 33:30-32 (NASB) There is a picture here of people truly seeming to be interested in listening to what the Lord has to say. In fact, they gather one another together to make an actual effort to go hear from the Lord. It's like a community that wants to make sure everyone is in church, because everything goes better for us when we regularly come together to fellowship with one another and hear the Word preached. But, there is also a great rebuke - they don't do anything about the message they hear. They listen with joy, but they are unchanged. I'm reminded of the admonition in James 1:22 to be more than just hearers of the Word, but doers also. I truly love the Word of God. I love to read it. I love the way the Holy Spirit illuminates it as I study. I love the way it is alive and active in the life of the believer. But, I wonder how many times this rebuke should be directed toward me. How many times do I excitedly receive the Word, only to do nothing with it? How many times does my day continue on as every day before with no real growth visible in my life? If I truly love the Lord and His Word, I will not just crave to hear it, I will desire to live it.

No comments: