Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Planting and Reaping

The slacker does not plow during planting season; at harvest time he looks, and there is nothing. Prov 20:4 (HCSB) I read the wrong chapter in Proverbs today. I don't know why I thought it was the 20th, but I plugged along, happily reading. And, so many things stood out to me. It wasn't until much later - when I was sharing something with Doug - that I realized I'd read the wrong chapter. But, with all that stood out to me, maybe it wasn't "wrong" after all... I've always seen the verse above in terms of diligence in practical aspects of life. But, this morning the spiritual side struck me. It's probably a thought that has struck many others many times before, but for some reason today was the first time I ever thought of it this way. I have greatly noticed that God will teach me a principle, and then something will come along later than tests the reality of that principle in my life. It is much like growing a crop - like planting seeds when we have plenty only to see the harvest come in just as we are running out of stores of food. In the same way, I need what God plants in me to grow and develop so that when I need the nourishment and the reminder in a time of challenge, it's right there, ripe for the taking. So many times I have put off learning a truth, thinking that the lesson is not really relevant for me at that moment. The problem is that when the challenge comes along to make it relevant, it's often too late to learn what I need to deal with the challenge. I have to learn it when God puts it in front of me so that when the challenge comes, all I have to do is reap the crop of knowledge and wisdom. That's why I journal. That's why I blog. That's why even when I can't really put my finger on why something stood out to me, I still make note of it and ponder and pray over it. God knows, and I have a great desire to be completely open to Him as He plants His truth in my heart!

No comments: