Thursday, February 26, 2009

Truly Seeking

As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every intent of the thought. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever. 1 Chron 28:9 (NASB) A lot of what I've been reading over the past couple of days has pointed to the absolute necessity of a heart commitment to the Lord. God gave the people of Israel certain rules, rituals, and traditions to observe. Those things were created to draw God's people to Himself, but so often they were simply actions with no heart devotion to back them up. One thing that made David a "man after God's own heart" was the realization that the observance of these things was meaningless if his heart wasn't devoted to his God. I've always been one of the "good kids" who tends to obey rules. But, the obedience of my actions is not always a reflection of the attitude of my heart. More and more, my actions must reflect a passionate desire to seek after and serve my Lord! They cannot be empty behaviors that achieve nothing. I am challenged to be passionate to the core of my being - to serve my God with my actions not because I want to be held in esteem by others who walk this earth with me, but because I have set my heart wholly and completely on honoring my Lord.

No comments: