Thursday, February 19, 2009

Keep on Keeping On

But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good. 2 Thess 3:13 (NASB) I have to admit, I didn't like reading this verse today. Just this morning Doug and I were talking about how unmotivated we were feeling. Our schedule and organization went out the window during the ten days of plumbing issues, and now we have to deal with the aftermath. Somehow we have to get caught up on all that we're behind on and get back on schedule all at the same time. I want to be caught up and back in our routine, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by what it's going to take to get there. Then I read 2 Thessalonians 3. Leading up to verse 13 there are verses dealing with the necessity of staying away from those who are undisciplined and who do not want to work and be diligent. Then comes verse 13 that commands us to not only stay away from those people, but to not follow in their path - to continue doing what we know we're supposed to do without growing weary. This week I've been weary of doing good. Not of being a generally moral person - that's not really the context of this passage. I've been weary of being diligent - of getting up on time; of getting caught up on housework; of being a good steward; of homeschooling; of being disciplined with my eating; of truly digging into the Word of God. I am challenged to remember that the joy of the Lord is my strength (Neh 8:10), and that because of that, I do not have to grow weary of doing good. It's time to get back to it.

No comments: