Friday, February 20, 2009

Light

God has been reminding me a lot of the fact that He is light and that I am expected to shine His light. We like to bemoan the condition of our nation and wish for the days when we were a moral nation, but all through Scripture, both Old Testament and New, we find references to God as light. That, to me, indicates that the world has existed in darkness a lot longer than we'd sometimes like to admit. I have walked through my house this morning and observed where light is and is not needed. It is a nice, sunny day, so many of the rooms are already flooded with light and need no other illumination. The world is not like that. The world is dark. Period. It has been since the fall of man. No matter how moral we once might have been, darkness was still dominant - light and doing good are not the same. Light isn't needed where it already shines. Light is needed where there is darkness. Am I truly being light? Do others have a better image of truth because of me? Light does not bring attention to itself, but illuminates what is around it. As a light, I am not called to draw attention to myself. I am called to reveal the truth of the filth of this world and point to the only One who can clean it all up. That is my challenge as a light.

No comments: