Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back to the Basics

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Phil 4:4-5 (NASB) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Gal 5:22-23 (NASB) These verses represent some of the most basic and foundational aspects of my life in Christ. I have known them for years. I have been instructed to walk in these truths. You would think I'd have it down by down. But, despite the foundational nature of these verses, I still struggle with them. Yesterday was one of those very rough days when rejoicing, a gentle spirit, and the whole concept of the fruit of the Spirit seemed to fly out the window. Even after the kids were in bed, it took me at least an hour to truly calm down from the day. Before I was truly awake this morning, the Holy Spirit began working on my heart, reminding me of these verses. Before I ever opened my journal or Bible, He revealed to me that my challenge today was to heed the instruction in Phil 4 that the fruit of the Spirit might be evident in me throughout this day. It is just a reminder to me that I can never, ever relax my obedience of the instructions God has given me in the past, no matter what new ways He grows me in the present and future.

No comments: