Saturday, January 31, 2009

Trust

For our heart rejoices in Him, because we trust in His holy name. Psalms 33:21 (NASB) There are a lot of absolutes in Scripture. I don't mean moral absolutes - that's a given. I mean "all or nothing" absolutes. Absolutes like not being anxious about anything, doing all we do for His glory, and praying about everything with thanksgiving, just to name a very, very few. Another absolute struck me today, though, and that was the absolute of trusting in His holy name. We assign a lot of names to our God, as did the great believers of Scripture, based on how He has shown Himself to us. He is the God who sees, our Provider, God with us, and on and on. But, when asked by Moses what His name was, He simply said, "I AM!" Do you realize how absolutely inclusive that is? Nothing is excluded from such a name. God has really been stretching my trust in Him lately. He has been showing me how shallowly I trust Him and how much deeper I must go to truly trust in His holy name. This morning is an example. There was a deposit we had to make no later than today, but we had been waiting for the check. We knew if the check came by today, we'd be fine financially. Well, the envelope arrived in plenty of time, and inside we found not one check but two. No problem. We deposit checks by scanning them into our computer and transmitting them electronically to our bank in San Antonio. Here's where the problem came. One check transmitted. The second one wouldn't. Sometimes that happens, and when it does, we try a couple more times (frequently with the second try it works) before sticking it in the mail. So, after the first failure I prayed and tried again. Still no good. At this point I said, "Lord, You know that we need this deposit, so I trust You completely to make this work." And I really, truly did. I wasn't worried. I trusted He would make it work. During the third attempt, though, He spoke. You trusted Me to get the check to you, but then you chose to rely on the fact that you had money in your hands instead of trusting in Me to continue to provide. Do you really and truly trust Me in this, or are you trusting this money? Before I had even begun scanning the back of the check, I knew that it wasn't going to work. I knew I had to put the check into that envelope and stick it in the mail. Sure enough, the process failed. I took the check, stuck it in the envelope, and said, "I trust You, Lord. You alone!" I know this is not a typical challenge post, but I think the story shows better than anything else I could write exactly how God is challenging me on the trust issue. And it won't stop here. Today's issue floats at such a surface level of trust. There is still an ocean to dive into. There are still depths I cannot begin to fathom. So, I am challenged to take a deep breath and dive. I must trust in the name which excludes nothing. I must trust in I AM.

No comments: