Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obedience of Love

This is a rather undeveloped thought that came to me this morning as I was finishing Nehemiah. When Nehemiah was present in Jerusalem, enforcing the laws of God, things went well. When he left, things fell apart. The hearts of the people didn't change. How do I teach my children? How do I minister to those around me? I am challenged to make sure that as I teach, I teach a passion for the Lord. If we obey simply because we think it's the right thing to do, eventually that will fall away. If we obey because we are passionately in love with our Savior, then that motivation will carry us through. The Lord has been challenging me for a while to make that my own priority, and I know I am improving in this endeavor that will continue as long as I live. But now He is challenging me to make sure that is how I teach as well, especially when it comes to teaching my children. I must show them how amazingly incredible it is to be in love with their Savior, and the obedience is the best way to show that love!

1 comment:

ArWeAtHeRGuY(Zdad) said...

That's a great thought. Just showing and telling Zach is not enough. He must see my zeal and passion for the things of God modeled in mine and Meranda's own lives for that to "stick"...
THanks for reminding me ! Great blog!