Thursday, January 20, 2011

To Still Grow

I will praise the name of God with song and magnify Him with thanksgiving, and it will please the Lord better than an ox or a young bull with horns and hoofs.  Ps 69:30-31

There are several places in the Psalms of David where David refers to there being something God loved even more than sacrifice.  Praise.  Obedience.  Repentance.  In a society where purification and sacrifice were essential, how did David learn this truth?

Through his time in exile. 

David was cut off from the tabernacle and from the typical worship and sacrifices prescribed by law.  And yet through his years of running from Saul, David did not become distant from God.  Instead he grew continually closer to His Lord.  Even without the tabernacle.

Despite the fact that the Holy Spirit dwells within me and I have full confidence to enter the presence of God at all times, there are still things that He has prescribed for my growth.  Intentional interaction with Him in prayer and study.  Communion with my church family.  Encouragement from others.  But what happens if those are taken away from me?  I read stories of those persecuted for their faith who are stripped of everything in an effort to break their faith.  What if that were to happen to me?

Just as God established certain guidelines for worship in the Old Testament, so He reminds us that we need to read the Word and interact with our fellow believers.  But, I am also challenged to have a relationship with Him that allows me to continue to grow even if those things are stripped from me.  To hide His Word in my heart that I may have it for growth.  To grow my communion with Him that I can survive and grow even without other companionship and encouragement.  I pray it never comes to that, but if it does, I don’t want to just barely survive it.  I want to grow and, like David, be closer to Him after than I was before.

No comments: