Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not Mrs. Fix-It

I like to fix things.  I really do.  Not in a mechanical sense – I leave that to people who know what they’re doing.  But, in a “life problems” sense.  I want to fix people’s problems, including my own.  When I see a concrete way it can be done, I am inclined to go for it, or at the very least to suggest it.  Relief is on the way!  And, no, it doesn’t seem to matter that I still don’t really know what I’m doing. 

It makes me wonder…what would I have done if I had been David?  In 1 Sam 24 and again in 1 Sam 26, David spares Saul’s life and solve his “on the run” issues.  He has two wide-open, fully available opportunities to either kill Saul or have one of his loyal followers do it for him.  But, both times he refuses.  It’s God’s job, and he trusts God to take care of it in His timing. 

I am challenged to much more readily follow David’s example.  I am not Mrs. Fix-It.  That’s God’s job.  I am to be obedient, no matter what the cost to me.  God can and does orchestrate the fulfillment of His will in His own time and in wonderful perfection.  Sometimes it brings years of struggle, as it did with David, along with the wonderment of why God has forsaken us.  But, He hasn’t forsaken us.  He’s just more patient than we are, and there is more involved in His plan than just our comfort, well-being, or quick restoration. 

There are times when God does use me as a part of the solution, as He did with David many times.  So, I guess the key is submission and obedience, which is where David was.  David was a tool in God’s hands, not the solution.  And I am challenged to be the same. 

No comments: