Saturday, January 22, 2011

Encouraging Teacher

This morning I was challenged in a bit of a roundabout way.  I am almost through 2 Thessalonians, and I was trying to step back a bit and move from a verse by verse analysis to a “grand picture” analysis of this particular Pauline letter.  What I saw was very interesting – and convicting – to me.

Paul had two major points to address in this letter.  There were issues of erroneous teachings regarding the second coming of Christ, and there were issues of laziness and undisciplined behavior in the church.  Both issues needed to be addressed and stopped.

But, the thing that stood out to me was how Paul addressed these two issues.  Before launching into either one of them, Paul poured out abundant confirmation and encouragement.  He rejoiced in the fact that they had obeyed the last instruction he had given them in 1 Thes to excel even more in their love for one another (2 Thes 1:3-4).  He also assured them that he had full confidence in their obedience, both past and future (2 Thes 3:4).  Only after affirming and encouraging them did he instruct them. 

The challenge I saw in this is related to the way I teach my children.  Often when I am giving them a new teaching or instruction, I am fully and completely caught up in the teaching.  I pile on them one more “must do” and emphasize the urgency of their learning this new lesson.  But it is rare that I take the time to build them up in light of their accomplishments up until that point.  They have learned so much.  They have grown so greatly.  They have been obedient in so many ways.  Yet I insist upon more without acknowledging what they've already accomplished.

Even knowing how much growth is yet to come, if all we ever focus on is the mountain left to climb, we miss the encouragement of seeing the altitude we’ve already achieved.  We become discouraged and disheartened. 

I am challenged to encourage my children in their continued growth.  I am challenged to be diligent to rejoice over their successes and show confidence in their continued growth based on their past growth.  May my words of teaching never be separated from words of encouragement. 

No comments: