Monday, January 10, 2011

Always Encouraging

Note: If you subscribe to both Ann’s Thoughts and Ann’s Challenge of the Day, you will probably begin to see duplicate copies of the daily challenges in your inbox or reader.  Please consider unsubscribing to Ann’s Challenge of the Day to avoid duplication.  Thanks for reading!

Therefore comfort one another with these words.  1 Thes 4:18

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. 1 Thes 5:11

These two verses fall within very specific discussions of comforting when a believer has died and encouraging in light of Christ’s second coming.  But, a more general thought occurred to me today.

How often do I intentionally encourage and comfort others?  Not just when they are struggling.  Not just when they are discouraged.  Not just when they are grieving.  But at all times?  According to the instruction of Hebrews 3;13?

Unlike people who cannot seem to open their mouths without uttering some form of encouragement, I am not in the habit of offering encouraging and strengthening words in all seasons.  I tend to limit it to when people are obviously struggling or hurting.  I tend to be a more task-oriented person, focusing on speaking and acting when there is a specific task to be accomplished.   That’s how God created me.  So, my challenge is to to get into my head that one of my tasks is to continually, daily, and regularly encourage and comfort those around me rather than waiting until they are grieving or struggling.  I hunger to become one of those people who is always encouraging. 

No comments: