Sunday, January 23, 2011

For My Children’s Sake

…not because we do not have the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you, so that you would follow our example.  2 Thes 3:9

I finished 2 Thessalonians and then flipped over to read selected passages from the early days of King David’s reign.  The concept that stood out in both was the example of the leadership.  Paul put aside certain rights to make sure he led a new church well.  David prayed about nearly every decision so that he led his new kingdom well. 

Three little hearts and minds look to me as one of their two primary examples in life and leadership.  What I do, they want to do.  As my attitude goes, so does theirs.  The truth is, I have certain rights and privileges as the parent.  But, is it prudent for me to exercise all of those rights and privileges?  Does it result in the wisest leadership for my children?

But, even beyond that, how prayerful am I along every step of the way?  David was camped facing the Philistines.  He was in a pretty urgent situation, and I can imagine “wisdom” dictating that the only logical solution he could see was to go up and fight the Philistines.  But, he still stopped to seek the Lord – to ask if it was God’s will for him to go up and fight.  I’m sure he had to wonder what in the world he was supposed to do if God said, “No!”  But, he still was willing to ask.

As I look over my days, many of my actions as parent/leader of my children are based on my rights and on my own personal vision and wisdom.  I hunger to be their model, but so frequently I forget to stop and be intentional about my actions and prayers so as to be the example they need. 

Whether I like it or not, I am an example.  I am challenged to ensure that I am setting a good example by evaluating the impact of exercising my rights and by seeking the Lord’s guidance visibly and consistently. 

No comments: