Thursday, January 13, 2011

Growth

…therefore, we ourselves speak proudly of you among the churches of God for your perseverance and faith in the midst of all your persecutions and afflictions which you endure.  2 Thes 2:4

This verse obviously comes on the heels of yesterday’s verse – the one where Paul had expressed delight in the fact that the Thessalonians had grown in their love for one another.

As I pondered this whole thought, an awareness began to reveal itself in my heart and mind.  When I am struggling because of some difficulty in my life,I am not truly attentive to the needs and situations of believers around me.

Part of the Thessalonians’ show of perseverance and faith was found in their love for and interactions with one another.  They suffered hardships but did not hole up and become blind to those around them. 

I so often tend to be just the opposite.  I get so caught up in my own struggle that I miss the struggles, joys, pain, and successes of others.  I miss the chance to minister to or celebrate with them.  As my own “issues” ease up, it is often as if I’m awakening from a long slumber, suddenly discovering all I missed.

Even as I type this I realize what the fundamental problem is.  My eyes tend to be on my struggles rather than on my Savior.  As the Thessalonians grew, their faith grew.  A growing faith is a growing focus on God and a lesser focus on the things of this earth, whether joys or sorrows.  When we have an increased focus on Him, then He works through us to meet the needs of those around us.  I’m challenged to grow in that focus on my Father, just as the Thessalonians did.  And I am excited to see how my eyes are open and my life is used by God!

No comments: