Monday, January 24, 2011

Hope

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope  1 Tim 1:1

There is so much here, but the challenge came from the last phrase: “Christ Jesus, who is our hope.”

God does not command us in any way without giving us hope.  The problem is that I often look at hope in a very worldly way.  I see it as something that indicates a strong desire of mine with no assured certainty of fulfillment.

That is not the hope of Jesus Christ. His hope is certainty. His hope is assurance.  Maybe not of exactly what I desire, but of what is for my best, what is for the glory of God the Father, and what will fully accomplish His will.

My problem lies in the fact that I don’t always see how it’s for my best, His glory, and the accomplishment of His will.  But, my vision issues don’t affect reality. Just because someone who is blind cannot see a tree across the field doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  Just because someone who is deaf cannot hear the music playing does not mean it isn’t resounding. 

I don’t yet have eternal eyes and ears.  But, that doesn’t mean that God’s artwork is flawed or that His symphony is non-existent.  It just means I can’t see or hear them properly yet.  I will.  And I must hope in that.  Hope in His perfection in all things.  And hope in what He has promised to be reality.  His commandments are always based on that reality, and they are never given without it. 

No comments: