Thursday, January 7, 2010

Signs

The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it."

I like to be hard on the Pharisees.  But, the more I learn, the more I realize that I am more like them than I’d like to admit. 

Take this situation, for example.  The Pharisees believed Jesus had power.  They had no doubts He could heal and perform miracles.  In fact, it’s obvious by many of their tests that they expected the miracles.  What they didn’t trust was His authority. Hence the request for a sign.

I believe in and expect a lot of things as a believer in Christ.  But I still seek signs.  I want proof before I follow in obedience in something that I don’t wish to do. I want proof that He’s going to get me out of a tough situation.  I have my own desire for signs.

I am challenged to increasingly not only trust Him but surrender to Him simply because He is God and I am, in the words of Paul, His bondservant – His slave.  I need no sign or proof.  I just need to obey and trust that He has everything under control. 

No comments: