Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cut it Off!

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, [where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.]  If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell, [where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.]  If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell,  Mark 9:43-47

The self-mutilation concepts presented here seem very extreme.  But, as I read this today, I see that I cling to things that cause me to stumble, things that are as difficult to remove from my life as a hand, foot, or eye would be to my body. 

As I progress through the process of becoming more Christ-like, I am challenged to make sure that I am willing to go through the necessary surgery.  Whether it be habits, preferences, or beliefs.  Whether it be relationships, hopes, or dreams.  Whether it be preferences or hobbies, comforts or tendencies.  Even if it is my health or the health of my family – all must be brought under the lordship of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  If I am not willing to submit them to Him to do with as He pleases, then they are things that cause me to stumble and they need to go!

No comments: