Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Instruction Worthy of Honor

My son, obey your father’s commands, and don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.  Keep their words always in your heart.  Tie them around your neck.  When you walk, their counsel will lead you.  When you sleep, they will protect you.  When you wake up, they will advise you.  For their command is a lamp and their instruction a light; their corrective discipline is the way to life.  Prov 6:20-23 (NLT)

As I was going through my Proverbs for today, I was greatly challenged by these verses.  They left me wondering if my instructions and words are really worthy of this honor.  In truth, there is only one way they can be, and that is if they are based on the Word of God.

In truth, I desire all of my parenting to be based fully on God’s Word, and to have His Word and wisdom as its source.  The reality is that I don’t always succeed, and oftentimes my words, instruction, and discipline are based more on what I think than on what the Word says.  Naturally, I desire to be continually improving in that area.

But, there is something more that I am challenged to ensure, and that is making sure that my children know the source of my instruction and discipline.  If they are of the opinion that they are following my words and wisdom, then it will simply be that they are following Mommy’s philosophy of life.  As they grow, they will keep or toss ideas based on whether or not they agree with Mommy.

But, if they are aware that my philosophy is from the Word, not just from me, there will be a stronger likelihood that they will cling to what is right.

So, my challenge for today is to continually point them back to the Word, and to show them the source of my instruction and discipline.  As I do, that will not only raise my instruction and words to the level of honor outlined in this passage, but it will also ensure that what I say and do is truly in line with God’s way!

No comments: