Sunday, January 10, 2010

His Interests

And He was stating the matter plainly. And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him.But turning around and seeing His disciples, He rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind Me,Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."  Matt 8:32-33

It is so easy to read this and judge Peter.  I mean, he had just acknowledged that Jesus was the Christ, and then he had to go and get all cocky and think that he had any authority to rebuke Jesus.  No!  What was he thinking?

But, it seems every time I want to judge a Bible character for their hasty and haughty actions, I end up face to face with myself - a spiritual mirror pointed straight at my prideful heart.  And the picture usually isn't very pretty.

I do the same thing.  I fuss at the Lord, rebuke Him, gripe at Him, and generally tell Him how I think it should go - how it must fit in with not only my doctrine and theology, but also with my desires.  I do exactly what Peter did, and I typically do it after some great revelation that has me all excited - and a bit cocky.

God is growing me.  He is revealing more and more of the picture to me as each day passes.  It's awesome, but it should also be humbling.  Rather than being an indication that I have "arrived," it should be a glimpse of how much further I really do have to go.

And then there is the whole setting our minds on the interests of God and not man.  Wanting to do things His way.  

I am challenged to not be cocky.  I am challenged to not be prideful.  And I am challenged to make sure I don't try to dictate to the Lord how it should be.  He is God, and, shockingly enough, I am not.  I must learn to chase after His interests and not my own.  Because that's the only way it will ever be right between us.  

No comments: