Sunday, January 24, 2010

Honor of Honesty

It is an honor to receive an honest reply. Prov 24:26 (NLT)

As I was reading and commenting on Proverbs 24 today, this verse really stood out to me. 

Do I really consider it an honor to receive an honest reply? 

Think about this with me.  If I ask someone how they’re doing, how often do I want to take the time to really hear the answer?  If I ask someone a question about myself, am I really ready to receive the answer?  If I share something I’ve learned, do I really want someone else to come in and show me that I still have much to learn?

If we are completely honest with ourselves, we don’t really want honest replies from other people.  They are frustrating, annoying, and aggravating more often than not.

So, why would it be considered an honor to receive an honest reply?  Because it signifies trust.  If someone feels confident that they can give me an honest reply, then they trust me to handle their reply well.

They trust me to be a listener when they need to share how they’re really doing.

They trust me to accept constructive criticism.

They trust me to be willing to grow and learn and to not live as if I have the only answers.

And so, I am challenged to truly be honored by honest replies. 

No comments: