Monday, January 18, 2010

For What Purpose?

My daily schedule/to-do list and I are not on great terms right now.  I would really rather not have to face them, to be honest.  As I look over what must be done today, I wonder how I will ever get it all accomplished.  Then I’ll start tomorrow behind, and it will bleed over into the next day and the next.  Not an exciting thought for the rest of the week, now is it?

And then something clicks in my mind – I am trying to live today to complete my checklist and stick to my schedule.  What an exhausting thing!  If that is what I live each day for, I will definitely be overwhelmed by the anxiety of life.  I will never succeed in accomplishing a fulfilling day, and I will wake up each morning starting the day behind schedule.

A successful day is not based on sticking to a schedule or successfully completing a to-do list.  A successful day is based on seeing that all I do accomplishes the task of glorifying my Savior.  The very fact that I draw breath is meant to honor Him.  There is no other reason I live.  All I do is for that purpose. 

He gave me the schedule as a result of prayer regarding how we could honor Him best with our days.  I trust Him to use it to guide me in the process of honoring Him. 

He has laid certain responsibilities before me.  I will seek Him for the wisdom and direction I need to structure this day so that all He wants me to accomplish is done. 

Suddenly, the day isn’t quite so overwhelming.  Suddenly the schedule is a guide and the to-do list is a promise of the ways I can step in alongside my Savior as He works today.  Suddenly the exact same tasks bring hope instead of a sense of overwhelming despair. 

And now, I look forward to my day.

No comments: