Friday, January 8, 2010

Necessary Learning

And according to Paul's custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and giving evidence that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you is the Christ."  Acts 17:2-3

Learning is something I like to do.  Sometimes it really scares and intimidates me, and I dread it for a little while.  But, overall I really do like to learn.  It’s energizing and exciting to have worked hard and have new knowledge to show for it.

Reading through Acts and Proverbs together has reminded me how crucial Scriptural learning is.  Paul did not just pull this evidence out of his hat.  He had studied the Scriptures long and hard.  Even Peter and the other disciples who were simple, uneducated fisherman studied Scripture to be able to expound on the Old Testament prophecies and stories that paved the way for the Messiah.  Their understanding was imparted to them with the arrival of the Holy Spirit, but they didn’t stop there.  They studied the Word that was available to them.  They learned it!

There are times when I get lazy – when I don’t want to study.  I think I know it well, and I can wing it.  When I do that, I’m ignoring the wisdom of Scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I am challenged to make sure that I study, even when I think I know something well.  I am challenged to make sure I am always learning, that I never come to the point where I think I know enough, even on just one subject.

Learning is vital not only to my own growth by to my ability to witness and disciple.  It is vital.

No comments: